Saturday 15 November 2008

The Source

Before going any further, I want to give credit where it's due. Just about everything I know about needles and threads, I've learned from Bob Purcell. Bob's the president and owner of the American company; Superior Threads. He is also a captivating teacher. I mean this literally - he wraps his students in threads!

I stumbled into the Superior Threads website several years ago when I was having trouble with needle and thread breakage. I thought that this might have something to do with the thread. So I asked my American quilting friends about the threads that they were using for machine quilting. Everybody said Superior Threads.

So I looked them up. The Superior Threads website has fantastic education pages. I learned more in a couple of hours pouring over Bob's education pages than in all my previous 25 years of trial and error. This summer I got to meet Bob at the Festival of Quilts in Birmingham and attend a couple of his lectures. They were brilliant. Now that I have a PhD. in Threadology I feel qualified to pass on 'the Knowledge.' Bob Purcell will be back in the UK again next summer giving a few more lectures. Sign up ASAP - they fill up fast. Meanwhile you can visit their website: http://www.superiorthreads.com/ and read Bob's education pages. I strongly recommend a visit to 'the Source'.

No comments: