Wednesday 18 March 2009

Happy St Patrick's Day!

Yes, I know it's come and gone. But I've been busy helping a new quilter quilt her first table runner. She's making a fantastic job of it too! So I'm wishing everyone a belated Happy St. Patrick's Day and in honour of the Irish, let's talk about Rainbows. One of the nice things about living here in England is the rainbows. Our weather is mostly showers and sunshine - a favourable combination for rainbows. I haven't made it across to Ireland yet but I'm sure the weather is much the same.
Rainbows is also the name of a range of thread that I use for machine quilting, created by the people at Superior Threads. In this post I'll discuss what makes this particular thread so special.
Rainbows is a premium quality, light reflecting, trilobal polyester in vivid variegated colours. If you want a gorgeous silky thread that reflects the light, this is the thread for you. Rainbows precise 1 inch colour change means you'll never get that stripy look that some variegated threads produce. I use a Schmetz Topstitch 100/16 needle for free-motion machine quilting with Rainbows.
Rainbows is a trilobal polyester; a high-sheen continuous fiber thread. Rainbows is lint free and colour-fast. But my favourite thing about Rainbows is how it reflects light - it shimmers like silk! This sparkle is created by the triangular shaped fibers that make up the multiple filaments. Rainbows are variegated in either tone on tone of the same colour or a multi coloured combination. The thread in this picture is one of the new Rainbow colours # 809 Kailua. This is a tone on tone with lots of shades of green -ideal for shamrocks. Click on the image to get a good look at all the colours. I'll post the shamrocks tomorrow.

No comments: