Thursday 2 October 2014

Piecing Fleece

piecing fleece using the zig zag stitch on my JUKI Exceed 600

I'm going to do a few posts on fleece. I sometimes use fleece as an alternative to backing and wadding.

Fleece can do the job of both backing and wadding at the same time for a fraction of the cost.

Fleece is easy and fun to machine quilt and gives a soft and cuddly finish. What's not to like?

One of the great features of fleece is that fleece doesn't fray!

Which makes it great for all sorts of craftsy projects including quilting.


Here I'm piecing fleece by butting the two edges together and using a zig-zag stitch to join them.


 I do this to avoid the extra bulk that a regular straight stitch seam would make.

Here I've pieced together some scraps of fleece to make a bigger backing. 

I used a grey thread because it was in the machine from when I was piecing the top. If I had changed the thread to match the fleece colour, you would not notice it at all.



Grey OMNI thread is ideal for piecing
My JUKI HZL 600 sewing machine does not have an extendible thread guide for these larger, more economical cross-wound cones. This thread stand lets me take advantage of the large cones. I put the thread on the stand and run it through the wire loop at the top, then I go ahead and thread my sewing machine as normal.

zig zag stitch for piecing fleece JUKI HZL Exceed 600
I used this pale pink fleece as the backing and wadding for Rosie's university quilt. Notice how nicely the quilting pattern shows up on the fleece backing.

(look at the roll under the arm of the sewing machine) Now that it's getting colder, it makes me happy to think of Rosie all nice and warm, snuggling under her fleecy quilt.

Fabric Online is a great UK source for fleece.

Rosie's university quilt on the 8 foot New English Quilter2 frame

No comments: