Friday 10 July 2009

Trial Run

I tried the Nifty-Grips prototype last night. They're brilliant! This set has been designed to replace the foot pedal on my JUKI TL98 P. Here's a photo of Nifty-Grips attached to my New English Quilter frame. Being right handed, I've attached the Grips to the left of my carriage - this allows me to see the needle clearly.

I've asked my daughter to hold up the Handi-Handles so you can see them side by side. The Grips are much smaller than the Handles. But perhaps the biggest difference is the placement of your hands. The Handles were gripped from the side and pushed forwards towards the machine. But with Nifty-Grips your hands fall naturally downward with arms extended from the elbows at waist level. They've been ergonomically designed to provide a natural resting place for your hands.
As I mentioned in the previous post, I managed without Handi-Handles for a couple of years. So when I did finally get them I kept on holding the machine instead of the Handles because I felt like I had better control. Also I'm tall - 5'7" and I found the handles just too low to be comfortable. So I did really appreciate the speed control but didn't use the actual handles.

The grips feel different, natural to hold, easy to guide because I am in complete control. I don't need to take my hands off the grips to alter the speed. I can reach the speed control and on off buttons with my thumbs.

Anyway, I'm thrilled that the prototype was finished in time for the DVD filming today. We should have grips ready for JUKI and Janome sewing machines in time for the Festival of Quilts this August. Nifty Grips for other sewing machines will follow soon.

3 comments:

Trudi said...

These look really interestng Martha, Like you, I don't use the handles to move the machine, but the machine itself. I'm hoping to try them out at the show :o)

Angie said...

Martha, Those look really nice! I had Handihandles at one time for my Brother PQ and Superquilter set up (long since sold) Yours are much more ergonomically appealing. Please keep posting when they are available here in the USA. Members on the Homequiltingsystems at Yahoo are anxiously awaiting more info. and a date when they will be available here.

Fulvia said...

Congratulations on this development, Martha. I am not able to see if the other end of the carriage, by the needle, also offers slots in which you can insert the handles?